Every once in awhile we step out of our usual “what’s going on at the studio” kind of content and examine something unique, different or fun. As Fall sets upon us, I thought it would be a great time to revisit a subject that we’ve discussed often with certain clients, and that’s the “Golden Hour”.
In case you’re not familiar with the term, the "Golden Hour" is the time just before sunset when the sun is close to going down, but still in the sky. Why do photographers like this time? The reasons are plentiful, but here’s seven to start with:
1) All the lighting is rich and warm - golden indeed.
2) You do not need to squint into the sunlight or wear sunglasses.
3) The direction of the light and long shadows is so much nicer than overhead light and "raccoon eyes".
4) On hot days the weather has cooled down enough that we can all enjoy the session without sweating running down our faces.
5) On a good day we can get some creative light flairs.
6) We can get some artistic silhouette images as the sun gets lower in the sky.
7) You have some lovely warm skies, with great coloured clouds or sunsets.
Now, we can't promise all of those just because the time is right, the weather does it's own things, but it really does increase our chances when dealing with subject matter that’s being shot outside, on location.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this post, and that you’ve learned something new related to photography.
Our studio and corporate office are located in Schaumburg in the Remington Tech Center. This provides an optimal spot for our group of companies, as we have FoodPhotoStudio.com, CurtisNewbornPhotographic.com, and ObscuraCompanies.com, all located under one roof.
Our brands in total provide a complete, turnkey solution for visual imagery and marketing execution, and the services that we provide go well beyond photography. Would you like to learn even more about the advantages of working with us? Check out this blog post.